Monday, June 25, 2012

Mourning my Helmut Lang, After the Fact



So, with four days back here in the United States, I can no longer justifiably blame my lackluster attitude and nonchalant work ethic on jet lag. Unfortunately. Perhaps the propensity to procrastinate, particularly strong and potent during these lusty summer months, can simply be attributed to boredom, a force and a thrust that is, in some ways, no less visceral. 

Idly perusing some online shops, I stopped at this cream, almost kimono-like shift dress, stunned for a moment or two; I then realized the cruel resemblance to a silver dress I love and cherish, a Helmut Lang thin sweater dress, accented with sheer faux-cut-out panels along the spine and nape of the back. Foolishly, I flaunted this attractive, sultry, stylish piece at a lowly company holiday party when I was first hired; even more foolishly, I wore a rhinestone bracelet, which, immediately, snagged along the back, ensnaring the thin and delicate fabric in its vicious teeth, and leaving me exposed. Literally. A demure exposure, but, an abominable circumstance nonetheless. The savage attack happened while I was attempting to gracefully and politely maneuver the already cold turkey and fixings buffet, no less. Thankfully, a well situated scarf was just the strategic solution I needed to salvage me from holiday party shame. Not so thankfully, snags in gossamer silk sweater dresses do not disappear, no matter how many glasses of holiday cheer you indulge in. 

As I am saving money for South Africa, my next vacation adventure, at least supposed to be, this dress will remain a virtual, two-dimensional fantasy. My ingenuity will have to carry me forward; when the Helmut Lang comes out to play, it is forever adorned with a strategic belt and the rhinestone traps stay in my jewelry box.




(images taken from Need Supply)

8 comments:

  1. That's such a shame about your Helmut Lang dress. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg....but thats an amazing dress.
    btw mind to fllw each other?
    jessillesilv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful dress!

    Amy
    www.LeopardandLillies.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful color!Loving my yellow skirt, got it while it was even more sale then it is now. Bit of a splurge but, I looooove it and the color haha. So thanks!

    Thanks for reading, it makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good written... I like it very much.
    It’s nice to be a friend with you.
    But may give you somethings special.
    You should to try it. It’s free, friends.
    HERE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your witty thoughts and amazing trips and commentaries. Your writing is impeccable!!

    -Lauren
    http://adornlafemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete