Saturday, August 27, 2011

Decadence on a Dime: Charcuterie and Martini

Last Friday, taking the night off after a toiling week before heading into the city for some socializing with my friends and Elizabeth's baby shower, an easy and relaxing evening, I was not in the mood to prepare something heavy and laborious, so I went with a simple, classic dinner: charcuterie plate and a well-chilled martini. An array of meats and cheeses is always savory and satisfying, and, besides a journey to the market and some purchasing power, requires very little energy to create. Typically, I indulge in a traditional, very purist martini, featuring a potent gin and a refreshing twist of lemon peel; however, with such salty treats, I tend to favor a garnish that matches in taste and will opt for the now-favored olive. Olives selected from the salad or olive bar, though generally more expensive, are always worth the extra dollars or cents; martinis leave little room for error, an overpowering wave of strong flavor, gin, then garnish. The garnish never travels subtly, unnoticed, fading in the shadows.



Pretzels with brie cheese are one of my favorite snack combinations; they are fulfilling, without seeming to drag down my stomach and digestion. A strong, cured salami was a great addition.


My local Walgreen's Pharmacy always features a small item of the month, typically a candy of some variety. Should the cashier fail to offer this treat, as you make a purchase, you can ask for it, and it is free. Naturally, the disgruntled dull-eyed, post-adolescent employees of the town Walgreen's would rather be performing any task other than the one at hand, and almost never offer the item. As a result, my knowledge and tastes for new candy bars, such as the peanut butter varietal of almost anything, has increased exponentially.

6 comments:

  1. tell me about the Peanut Butter Snickers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum snickers. So good, I could just eat them all day!

    Much love,
    Laura (http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. chocolate and peanut butter is my weakness! YUMMY

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! snickers peanut butter? never heard about it.. but I´m sure it´s delisshhhhh!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete