Monday, August 8, 2011

Too Heavy for Superman


Last Sunday evening, I traveled into New York to visit one of my best and dearest friends, my roommate of four years at university, Katherine, as she was passing through the city. She was a bit late coming into Brooklyn, plagued with horrendous traffic and some unpleasant weather, but we were able to enjoy a few drinks with our mutual friend Sacha at one of my favorite bars, The Clover Club. Today, she left the east coast, packed up her bags and her belongings, stowed safely in the bowels of a moving truck, and is splitting across the country, to explore an exciting and beautiful new life, one with some uncertainty, but one surely with a dream, a collection of dreams. She is a talented and wonderful girl, and while northern California will be an incredible and charming place to visit, my heart aches to think she will be that far away.

Watching my friends disperse, though invigorating and empowering, also leaves me feeling simultaneously vulnerable; I am fortunate to have some incredible people in my life, people who encourage and challenge and respect and surprise me, but, the sentimentalism in me takes over as they leave for new adventures and supplants any rational thought, and I cannot help but feel a bit lonely and afraid. I wish Katherine safe journeys as she crosses this wide, wild country, and while I hope she sees a thing or two, I also wish her a very expedient journey.

She will be living mere miles from Napa; I have been meaning to travel out west for quite some time and now I have the perfect opportunity to see that part of the country with a friend, and her handsomely dashing man.


This dress features a long, flowing cape accent, asymmetrical, cascading down the left side of my back, catching wind with the slightest turn; I had purchased this dress nearly a year ago and have been dying to wear it almost every weekend, but never seemed to find an appropriate occasion. Finally, I decided that approach was utterly ridiculous; clothing is meant to be worn, occasion or none. With the cape, the straps are also asymmetrical: the one on the left is broad to hold the extra fabric, the one on the right is thin and slightly rouged.


My clear vintage lucite bangle coupled with my cow horn bracelet, one of my favorite arm candy combinations, especially when I am wearing brown. The red circle earrings were a recent gift to me, from my filmmaker. The red of the earrings perfectly complements the appearance of paint spattered across fabric.



These sandals were very cheap and synthetic; they were an impulse purchase from an H and M store while I was in Prague a few weeks back. Although not actual leather, they do a fair job with mimicry and they are perfect for walking through dirty city sidewalks, since I care not if they get scuffed or wet.



Life, as of late, has been a bit like this image lately, a bit unclear, but truly beautiful and exhilarating. Although all cannot be placed in complete focus, at least not at the moment, I am confident and am positive and am very excited.

7 comments:

  1. know just what you mean! I live in PA, and two of my good friends from high school have moved to north carolina and chicago...it's crazy! I know I'm blessed to have a great job in my hometown, but I want to move away, too! It really seems like you have a great attitude about life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE your dress! You look great!

    Thank you for your lovely comment, dear!
    Would you like to follow each other? If so, just follow me and I’ll follow back.

    Loves,
    Rowan

    www.redreidinghood.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I TOTALLY ADORE YOUR DRESS MY DEAR SO COLOURFULL LOVELY GIVEWAY ON MY BLOG CHEK IT OUT

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a gorgeous dress!



    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    onto animated musings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures honey, you look amazing! I love your style, great outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will miss you horribly too but I know that you have big things ahead of you, even if they are not decided yet. Plus, partner-in-crime (as I have coined him) and I are looking forward to your visit!

    PS- I love that dress. Wear it often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the printed colorful dress! It complements your skin tone.can i just say that you write amazingly?!i wish i could write just like you!I really like the printed colorful dress! It complements your skin tone.can i just say that you write amazingly?!i wish i could write just like you!.can i just say that you write amazingly?!i wish i could write just like you!I really like the printed colorful dress! It complements your skin tone.can i just say that you write amazingly?!i wish i could write just like you!

    ReplyDelete